6431 - Managing and Maintaining Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Servers Training Course
After completing this course, students will be able to:
• Create a plan for managing the addition, removal, or migration of Windows Server 2008 network infrastructure roles.
• Develop baselines for monitoring and managing Windows Server 2008 infrastructure roles.
• Evaluate performance baselines and establish monitoring rules, design acceptable thresholds and alarms when problems occur.
• Analyze the implementation and configuration of a network environment running several Network Policy and Access Server roles.
• Plan for the implementation and configuration of a remote access server.
• Evaluate and plan for the deployment of DNS and DHCP server roles.
• Maintain security for network infrastructure servers.
Students should have several years of experience deploying and maintaining Microsoft Window 2003 servers and networks. A good understanding of core networking services including DHCP, DNS, and terminal services is also required.
In addition to their professional experience, students who at tend this training should have technical knowledge equivalent to the following courses:
• 6420 Fundamentals of Windows Server 2008 Network and Applications Infrastructure
• 6421 Configuring and Troubleshooting a Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure
• 6425 Configuring Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Domain Services
• 6426 Configuring Identity and Access Solutions with Windows Server 2008 Active Directory
• 6430 Managing and Maintaining Windows Server 2008 Servers
Module 1: Managing a Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Server Lifecycle
This module explains how to create an effective plan for managing the addition, removal, or migration of Windows Server 2008 network infrastructure roles.
• Overview of Server 2008 Roles and Solutions
• Managing Implementation Plans of Server Roles
• Managing Server Roles with the Security Configuration Wizard
Lab 1: Managing Server Roles
• Planning and Deploying Additional Server Roles
• Reviewing and Managing the Network Roles
• Automating Server Roles Using Command-Line Tools
Module 2: Monitoring Windows Server 2008 Infrastructure Roles
This module explains how to develop effective baselines for monitoring and managing Windows Server 2008 infrastructure roles. It also explains how to evaluate performance baselines, establish effective monitoring rules, and design acceptable thresholds and alarms when problems occur.
• Monitoring Performance and Reliability in Server 2008
• Using the Performance Monitor for Analysis
• Using the Reliability Monitor for Analysis
Lab 2: Monitoring Network Server Roles
• Analyzing and Creating Server Baselines
• Monitoring Network Reliability
• Monitoring Server Performance
Module 3: Managing Network Access Protection Roles
This module explains how to plan for the implementation of NAP, create solutions by using NAP, and implement NAP.
• Planning for the Implementation of Network Access Protection Roles
• Creating Solutions Using Network Access Protection Roles
• Implementing Network Access Protection Roles
Lab 3: Managing the Network Policy and Network Access Protection Roles
• Evaluating Network Policy Implementation
• Using NAP for DHCP Quarantine Enforcement
Module 4: Managing Remote Access
This module explains how to plan for the implementation of a server environment that is running the Routing and Remote Access (RRAS) role service.
• Planning Remote Access Server Roles
• Managing Remote Access Server Roles
• Evaluating Remote Access Policies
Lab 4: Planning for the Implementation and Configuration of a Remote Access Server
• Evaluating a VPN/Network Policy Server Implementation
• Implementing VPN/Network Policy Server
• Creating a Remote Access Server Policy for Additional VPN Security
Module 5: Managing and Maintaining DNS and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Server Roles
This module explains how to evaluate and plan for the deployment of DNS and DHCP infrastructure Server 2008 roles throughout an enterprise environment.
• Managing DNS and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Server Roles
• Maintaining DNS and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Server Roles
Lab 5: Managing DNS/Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
• Evaluating the Implementation of the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Server Role
• Adding Scavenging to the DNS Server Role
• Monitoring the DNS and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Server Roles
Module 6: Maintaining Security for Network Servers
This module explains how to analyze network server security and enable the host firewall with advanced security.
• Network Server Security Tools and Methods
• Configuring Advanced Security with Windows Firewall
Lab 6: Maintaining Security for Network Security
• Identifying Appropriate Network Server Hardening Techniques
• Configuring Security on a Server Using Windows Firewall